313 E. Main

313 E. Main
Left: Then (1991) & Right: Now (2010, though still in the works...)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...




So many different decisions to make when working on a house. Luckily for me, most are easily solved with thinking 'easiest, cheapest, yet nice looking' theory. After all, if I was working on this house for myself, I'd work on it and do it the way I want. But since it's going on the market and hopefully I won't have anything to do with it very soon (fingers crossed), I just wanna get it done however I can as long as it looks good enough to sell - I'll let someone else deal with it then. :)

I got some of the primer on the kitchen nook walls. Decided there is really no point in completely painting it (unless we did it white); this gives whoever buys it a chance to decorate it however they choose. Plus, with the primer on the walls that gives me the opportunity to see what parts of the walls still need to be touched up with joint compound and alike.

Spent the morning working on the kitchen drywalling, mainly filling in the joints that the previous renters didn't get around to completing. While that dries, I decided I'd figure out what kind of tiling job I wanted to do on the east wall above the counters, where I just put in some new drywall (see previous entries). Since there isn't enough tile to just complete it in white, I'm mixing some black tile in but the question then becomes what kind of design to do. Here are three possible ideas (of roughly the size it would be): the top one actually the first idea that came to my mine when I just started laying them out, a two white/black/white/black repeating pattern; one is a two white/two black/white/black repeating pattern; and the bottom one is simply an alternating white/black. I also have like 6 red tiles, but I think sticking to just the white/black would fit better. The tile probably won't go in until next week, and hopefully the kitchen will be just about finished in the next two weeks as well.

The north second story floor is just about finished with its new face-lift. I've got the green paint still to do, then some of the high trim pieces to redo. The bigger question had been how I was going to paint the rest of the second floor, but luck was on my side as I discovered some family friends had some scaffolding which they're sweet enough to let me borrow in the coming weeks to finish the house makeover. I probably won't get the paint finished until late next week most likely - with the 4th of July coming, I'm leaving in a day or two for Branson to meet up with the parents and my sister, who is coming up from Dallas for the holiday. As much as I love Sterling's 4th of July celebrations and would like to stay and enjoy them, I must say I'm really looking forward to some time off and an actual resting vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment