313 E. Main

313 E. Main
Left: Then (1991) & Right: Now (2010, though still in the works...)

Friday, December 2, 2011

Another room finally done!

Well, it's been a while since I've updated but let me say it was worth the wait - because another room is finally done! The Green Room, so aptly named because it has green carpet and partly green walls, has had its face lift completed! (though I should say over the years it's gone by several names, like the music room, the library, informally dad's office, and as of lately, my bedroom before I completely the master suite). It's been a few months since I posted about the green room but the lower walls have had their old lathe and plaster sheetrocked over, the small cracks from the foundation settling have been patched in the walls (or really, just on the south wall), the ceiling has been texturized and you'll never know where it's been completely replaced from ancient water damage (at least I think it may have been water damage - it's possible it could've been from the foundation settling).

Given that the original decor (when we lived here in the 90s) was a wallpapered top, green painted bottom, and wallpaper boarder acting as a chair-rail (below I have a small snippet of what it looked like), when it came to redoing the room, I felt it necessary to do something similar to the old look, given that I can't really change the green carpet and the old look made the green room one of my favorite rooms in the house. AND knowing that my wallpapering skills really aren't that great - well, let's just face it, it's messy - really messy - I decided simply to paint the room while giving it a similar feel, so I opted for a simple forest green color for the lower half of the wall while painting the upper half a light almond which was the closest color I could get to the old wallpaper my mom used twenty years ago. The wood work, which had been painted brown (who knows why given the wood matches the rest of the first floor wood work), was repainted so it matched the chair-rail I put up to act as the border.

And now I can finally say it's done, apart from some minor touch-ups on paint and the gas fireplace hookup which Dad will do on some trip down here. I do wish it was finished, cause it'd be so nice to sit by the fireplace while it snows outside - it's such a nice picture, isn't it?















<-- (Old wallpaper and border)

1 comment:

  1. Hey - looks great! Even the tassles on the picture are a nice touch. How about including a picture of the light switches so I can see how you solved that problem as well.

    I'll try and make it down to KS sometime this month - although with my new deadline at work, unless things go pretty well, I may not make it down there before Christmas.

    What's next on the adgenda?

    ReplyDelete