313 E. Main

313 E. Main
Left: Then (1991) & Right: Now (2010, though still in the works...)

Friday, October 14, 2011

Downstairs Bathroom - Welcome Back!

Well, technically the bathroom never went away and was partly functional while the floor was being redone (there was a toilet just no sink), but the good news is that the floor has returned! The once tiled floor - which was ruined after a sewage backup several years ago - now has a new OSB sub-flooring and a wood laminate covering! Yippie!

The downstairs bathroom was built in the SW room of the house, which while we lived here full time from 1990-2000 was used as a laundry room and storage/closet area, and the larger room now houses the bathroom and laundry room. And since the tile in the bathroom had to be replaced, it was just easier (in the long run I suppose, though it really doesn't seem like that while I'm working on it) to tear up all the tile and redo the floor.

A slight problem I encountered while preparing to lay down OSB for the sub-flooring was the original wood floor absorbing the water and moisture from the sewage 'flood' and thus expanding and not laying level. So, while I didn't really wanna get under the floor through the crawl space under the floor (I'm not a fan of spiders. My answer to that was the shop-vac and vacuuming all the spiderwebs before I got down there LOL *pic1*), I discovered part of the problem with the floor not laying flat - ended up being a support brace that was actually lifting up the floor and keeping it from being screwed down flat and level *pic2*. So after digging out the base and taking a hammer to the 2x4 support that was nailed in, I re-positioned it and screwed it back in place. But once that hour or two detour was finished, the floor laid down great and I was able to go ahead and get the OSB subfloor down in preparation for the laminate.










Luckily for me, since we redid the flooring in the breakfast nook and kitchen, the original laminate we put down was just about the right size for the bathroom and laundry room. Unfortunately, being a bathroom I had to break out the jigsaw to cut around the toilet, heating vent, and all the 'FUN' that goes along with laying floor! LOL

But needless to say, after two days of working on hands and knees, the bathroom floor and half of the laundry room floor is down and done! (apart from trim and threshold pieces) Now let the fun part begin: moving the washer and dryer so I can finish the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment