313 E. Main

313 E. Main
Left: Then (1991) & Right: Now (2010, though still in the works...)

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wonder what 65mph winds can do?

Well, in Kansas we say if you don't like the weather, wait 24 hours and see what happens. And Friday was no exception. Thursday was a nice day, high 60s I think, but come Friday we had a high of 45 degrees and winds out of the NW at 35-45mph with gusts up to 65mph and trust me, they were definitely that! Friend of mine clocked the wind outside of Alden (which is 5 miles NW of Sterling) at 62mph and I truly think they got stronger as the evening went on. At the college track the old high jump mats blew halfway across the football field and up into the opponents' stadium and nearly into the parking lot. The baseball diamond's tarp got picked up and blown up and halfway over the foul ball safety net - several guys tried to bring it down, but I don't know if they had any luck. Needless to say, the wind advisory warning was pushed forward from Friday evening until Saturday morning...I don't think my storm windows stopped rattling all day.

And as for me, I woke up Saturday morning to find a shingle on my front yard. Then another. Found two in my backyard. And sure enough, I looked up on the northwest side of the house to find about 15 shingles either missing entirely or ripped in half. Fortunately for us we still have a few bundles of shingles from when we roofed the house years ago, so I spend a beautiful Saturday afternoon (of about 70 degrees) repairing the NW corner of the roof. Easy peasy though (just as long as you don't fall off the roof).




No comments:

Post a Comment